Current professional titles:
Former professional titles:
How to contact me:
CyLab Security and Privacy Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
4720 Forbes Avenue, Office 2125
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office hours by appointment
The following are courses I teach or co-teach:
- Current Topics in Privacy
- Engineering Privacy in Software
- Privacy by Design
- Information Technology Policy: Evidence, Communication, & Advocacy
The following are research manuscripts I wrote or co-wrote:
- Tracking sex: The implications of widespread sexual data leakage and tracking on porn websites Elena Maris, Timothy Libert, Jennifer Henrichsen, Preprint, 2019.
- An Automated Approach to Auditing Disclosure of Third-Party Data Collection in Website Privacy Policies, Timothy Libert, The Web Conference (WWW2018), 2018. Best Paper Nominee.
- Third Party Tracking in the Mobile Ecosystem, Reuben Binns, Ulrik Lyngs, Max Van Kleek, Jun Zhao, Timothy Libert, Nigel Shadbolt, ACM Conference on Web Science, 2018. Best Paper.
- Track the Planet: A Web-Scale Analysis of How Online Behavioral Advertising Violates Social Norms (Dissertation), Timothy Libert, 2017.
- Privacy Implications of Health Information Seeking on the Web, Timothy Libert, Communications of the ACM, 2015.
- What web browsing reveals about your health, Timothy Libert, David Grande, David Asch, The British Medical Journal (BMJ), 2015.
- Exposing the Hidden Web: Third-Party HTTP Requests On One Million Websites, Timothy Libert, International Journal of Communication, 2015.
- Most research data is available on request, please see my curriculum vitæ for papers in review and revision.
Work with me:
- I routinely have positions available to conduct research on third-party tracking attribution, privacy, and distributed web measurement. If you are a Carnegie Mellon student eligible for employment please contact me. If you are not a Carnegie Mellon student I unfortunately cannot hire you.
- If you'd like to propose a collaboration, please contact me: email@example.com.
- If you'd like to work on open-source projects, see below.
The following are software tools I have released open-souce:
The following are white papers I wrote, co-wrote, or contributed to:
- Changes in Third-Party Content on European News Websites after GDPR, Timothy Libert, Lucas Graves, and Rasmus Kleis Nielsen, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford, 2018.
- Third-Party Web Content on EU News Sites: Potential Challenges and Paths to Privacy Improvement, Timothy Libert and Rasmus Kleis Nielsen, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford, 2018.
- Data and Discrimination: Collected Essays, Various Authors, Open Technology Institute / New America Foundation, 2014
The following are editorial pieces I wrote or co-wrote:
My work has been covered extensively in the popular press, as detailed on my curriculum vitæ. Some highlights are:
The search term "Tim Libert" should also direct to this site.